Notes from today's class.
How does Paterson convey the bond established between father and son in his poems, “Waking With Russell” and “The Thread”?
1. The use of the “thread” as a metaphor.
2. The theme of flight.
3. The sonnet form
4. The fear of death (needs rephrasing, Mr C)
5. Giving purpose to life/ hope for the future
6. The feeling of connectedness
7. Contrast between innocence and experience
Paterson explains that the birth of his son has given purpose to his life. He says that previously he had lost “the true path”; but upon his son’s arrival the path was “lit”. This metaphor gives a clear image of Paterson’s life being illuminated